Where We Go
- School of Aerial Photography, Figure 1, After 1918
- Aerial Expeditionary Force with Edward Steichen
- Silver print
- National Air and Space Museum
- Aerial Expeditionary Force Photography Collection
- Image No. School-Fig1-1
Sponsored by the Eastman Kodak Company, the School of Aerial Photography opened January 30, 1918, was based at Langley Field in Hampton Roads, Virginia, and named for Samuel Pierpont Langley, former secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Using techniques developed by British Sergeant-Major Haslett, the School of Aerial Photography trained enlisted men in the art and skill of aerial photography. The School provided information about areas that were inaccessible or accessible only with difficulty through ordinary methods, including areas behind enemy lines during times of warfare. The plane flown at Langley was the JN-4 Curtis Jenny biplane, a twin-seat plane that allowed for easy maneuverability and enabled the pilot and photographer to work together to obtain accurate photographs of their subjects.